KINGSPORT, Tenn. - A registered sex offender in Kingsport is back in jail.
The Kingsport Police Department teamed up with the U.S. Marshals Service to check on 27 offenders in the city. Officers found out Kim P. Murphy had failed to report in or pay the $150 annual registration fee.
When they got to his home on Hemlock Lane, officers arrested him.
During a search at the Kingsport city jail officers say they found a small plastic baggie containing what was believed to be marijuana and a pipe for smoking it.
Murphy is charged with violation of the sex offender registry and bringing contraband into a penal facility.
Police say another offender moved without reporting the change of address; charges are pending in that case.
- Updated US internet disrupted as key firm gets hit by cyberattack
- Updated Pulse Nightclub gates open for unveiling of new memorial
- Early Friday fire in Abingdon sends man to hospital
- School board picks plan for new Boone's Creek school, discusses redistricting issue
- Is the election stressing you out? You're not alone.