KINGSPORT, Tenn. - The Kingsport Police Department is warning people about a new phone scam.
Police say someone is calling people and identifying himself as Officer David Welch. He then tells the intended victim they failed to stop for a red light, and can pay their fine over the phone by giving him a credit card number.
Police say this is a scam. There is no one by that name at the department.
Residents are reminded to never give out any confidential information over the phone unless you know for certain it is a real call.
If you receive this kind of call, you are asked to report it to the Kingsport Police Department immediately.
- New Johnson County woman recovering after vicious dog attack
- New Law enforcement search for dangerous inmate that escaped from local jail
- New Johnson City woman honored by Girl Scouts of the Southern Appalachians
- Updated Johnson City Cardinals may break 20 year attendance record
- Updated Local bank holding 5K run to raise money for Niswonger Children's Hospital