KINGSPORT, Tenn. - The Kingsport Police Department is warning people about a new phone scam.
Police say someone is calling people and identifying himself as Officer David Welch. He then tells the intended victim they failed to stop for a red light, and can pay their fine over the phone by giving him a credit card number.
Police say this is a scam. There is no one by that name at the department.
Residents are reminded to never give out any confidential information over the phone unless you know for certain it is a real call.
If you receive this kind of call, you are asked to report it to the Kingsport Police Department immediately.
- Sale of the old mill property still planning to go through after fire
- Greene County teen admits to murdering father
- Authorities continue investigation into old General Mills building fire
- Cyber security customer call center has grand opening in Wise
- Expelled state lawmaker escorted from UT football game