Not every parent is buckling up their child for safety.
A study by Safe Kids Worldwide says one in four parents admit they've driven with their children unrestrained in either seat belt, car seat or booster seat. According to the report, car crashes are the leading cause of death for children in the U.S.
That is why the Kingsport fire and police departments, along with the life-saving crew, will hold a child passenger seat checkpoint Thursday.
It's happening from 2 to 6 p.m. at Fire Station 2, near the corner of Ft. Henry Drive and Center Street.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Updated Dozens disappointed after local legislators a no-show at meeting in Johnson City
- Crews will scale back the search effort for a missing man on South Holston Lake
- Democratic candidate for Virginia Governor discusses improving Southwest Virginia economy
- One person dead in Sunday morning car crash