KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Kingsport police are looking for a driver who ran from officers when they were trying to pull him over for a violation.
Police tell us it happened around three o'clock Wednesday afternoon on Fairview Avenue, near Mimosa Drive. Officers say the driver of a black 1998 Chevy Monte Carlo was not wearing his seat belt, and when police tried to pull him over, he refused to stop and drove off, taking several turns on roads throughout the city.
While running from officers, we're told, a woman passenger put her arms out of the window, which officers say appeared to be done in distress. When the vehicle stopped at an intersection, police say the woman tried to get out of the car, but the driver quickly started driving again to keep her from getting out, leaving the car door swinging open. Officers say that posed a danger to the woman, who could have been thrown from the vehicle and seriously injured, or killed.
Police say the car was driven by a white man, and the car had a Tennessee license plate reading 502WRM.
If you have any information about the people in the car, or the vehicle, please contact Kingsport Police Dispatch at 423-246-9111.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day