KINGSPORT, Tenn. - UPDATE 11:44 a.m.: The pedestrian who was killed in the accident has been identified as 62-year-old Elijah Eugene Bear.
KPD released more information about the accident in the following press release:
"On September 24, 2013 at approximately 6:40 a.m., a 2012 Dodge Ram 1500 Pickup Truck was travelling southbound in the outside lane in the 1500 block of Lynn Garden Drive.
An adult male pedestrian was preparing to cross Lynn Garden Drive walking eastbound from an apartment building located at Lynn Garden Drive.
The pedestrian stepped into the roadway into the path of the southbound truck, which subsequently struck the pedestrian. The pedestrian died at the scene as a result of injuries sustained in the impact.
The driver of the pickup was wearing his seatbelt at the time of the collision, and there is no indication of alcohol or drug use on his part.
This crash is being investigated by K.P.D. Traffic Crash Reconstructionists."
UPDATE 9:40 a.m.: Kingsport Police say a man walking across Lynn Garden Drive was hit by a pick-up truck and was killed.
It happened in front of Kingsport Fire Station Five near McDonald's around 6:30 a.m. Tuesday.
The victim's name has not been released and we're told charges are pending.
- New Virginia offenders raising tilapia in pilot program
- Police: Son kills father, self in front of wife, mother
- Slain Virginia officer was a father of 3, former Marine
- Kidnapping suspect still on the run, after statewide AMBER Alert is canceled
- Lightning strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power