KINGSPORT, Tenn. - A one-year-old boy was rushed to the hospital and his mother is under arrest.
Kingsport Police say Emilie Rothert waited an hour and a half to seek help for her son after the boy ingested Suboxone, which is used to treat narcotic dependency.
Officers say Rothert told them a cat must have knocked the bottle off the windowsill, then when she wasn't looking he swallowed one of the pills.
Police tell us Rothert called the poison control center and they told her to take the child to the hospital immediately, but instead they say she waited an hour and a half before taking the child to a fire station. From there, he was taken to the hospital.
"This could have easily been deadly. This is a one-year-old child taking medication designed for an adult. Not only that, it's designed to help people addicted to narcotics, so it's a very serious medication," says Tom Patton with the Kingsport Police Department.
Rothert was arrested and charged with child neglect.
Police say her son was released from the hospital and has been removed from her care by the Department of Children's Services.
- New Previously missing Russell County woman found unharmed in Georgia
- Updated Authorities searching for missing Russell County woman
- Major decision expected Monday in relation to proposed Gray methadone clinic
- Updated One dead, one seriously injured in Smyth County hit-and-run
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims