KINGSPORT, Tenn. - An annual Memorial Day tradition in Kingsport as that city pauses to salute and remember those who've served our country and some who made the ultimate sacrifice.
The service is held at the Veterans Memorial next to Dobyns-Bennett High School and is well attended by family and friends.
The word "remember" was used by each person who spoke.
Most the VFW Posts in the region and veterans groups provide honor guards at funerals for veterans around the region.
Lennis France, a Vietnam Veteran tells us, "It's the last thing we can actually for our brothers and their families. Just being able to help them and pray for them and offer comfort any way we can."
One touching moment during today's event was the placing of small flags on a cross in front of the veterans memorial in remembrance of those lost.
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire
- Instantly healing technology tested on human in Kingsport
- Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial