KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Kingsport residents will soon be able to take a ride down memory lane, thanks to the donation of a local businessman.
Pal's Restaurants founder Pal Barger announced a monetary donation Wednesday to help build the structure housing the Kingsport carousel.
News 5 learned the building will be located beside the Farmer's Market along Clinchfield Street. The carousel will include 33 platform animals with 24 hand-painted rounding boards depicting the city up to 1956.
Some things are still needed for the project. "We want a band organ," project leader Reggie Martin told News 5. "So, if somebody wants to contribute a band organ to us or the money to buy one, we would love to have that."
News 5 learned the group is halfway through the completion of the carving and painting of the animals.
The carousel is expected to open in spring of 2014.
- Pastor's wife charged with embezzling from church in Kingsport
- Four charged in Church Hill home invasion case
- FTC, Wellmont and MSHA speak in front of SWVa. Health Authority
- VP candidate Pence not hurt when plane skids off runway
- Chelsea Clinton garnering young voters at Appalachian State University