KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Kingsport Mayor Dennis Phillips plans to announce what the city is calling a major new development in the Carousel Project.
In a press release, the city announced there will be a press conference Wednesday at noon at the Farmers Market.
The city says the Carousel Project is a volunteer effort founded by the late Gale Joh. They say hundreds of volunteers have carved and painted animals, rounding boards and other elements.
As part of the project, mechanics are helping restore the vintage 1956 Herschel frame the carousel rides on. The city estimates more than 200 people will have participated in the project by the time the Carousel is completed in the spring of 2014.
The city says donations to the project have totaled more than $260,000. The goal is $500,000.
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin