KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Kingsport Mayor Dennis Phillips plans to announce what the city is calling a major new development in the Carousel Project.
In a press release, the city announced there will be a press conference Wednesday at noon at the Farmers Market.
The city says the Carousel Project is a volunteer effort founded by the late Gale Joh. They say hundreds of volunteers have carved and painted animals, rounding boards and other elements.
As part of the project, mechanics are helping restore the vintage 1956 Herschel frame the carousel rides on. The city estimates more than 200 people will have participated in the project by the time the Carousel is completed in the spring of 2014.
The city says donations to the project have totaled more than $260,000. The goal is $500,000.
- Updated BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Updated Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview