KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Kingsport Mayor Dennis Phillips plans to announce what the city is calling a major new development in the Carousel Project.
In a press release, the city announced there will be a press conference Wednesday at noon at the Farmers Market.
The city says the Carousel Project is a volunteer effort founded by the late Gale Joh. They say hundreds of volunteers have carved and painted animals, rounding boards and other elements.
As part of the project, mechanics are helping restore the vintage 1956 Herschel frame the carousel rides on. The city estimates more than 200 people will have participated in the project by the time the Carousel is completed in the spring of 2014.
The city says donations to the project have totaled more than $260,000. The goal is $500,000.
- Updated Greene County teen admits to murdering father
- Updated Authorities continue investigation into old General Mills building fire
- Cyber security customer call center has grand opening in Wise
- Expelled state lawmaker escorted from UT football game
- Public sessions begin Monday regarding MSHA/Wellmont merger