KINGSPORT, Tenn. -
Officials broke ground Thursday in Kingsport for a new mental hospital.
Strategic Behavioral Health will be beginning construction of a $12 million facility. It will have space for 72 patients and handle both mental health and substance abuse issues. The hospital will be the only one of its kind in Kingsport.
“One of the things we'll do is be able to do is go out into the community and do education,” company President Jim Shaheen said. “Education on opioid abuse, education on mental health disorders, education on how to intervene with someone is crisis.”
City Manager Jeff Fleming says the facility isn't costing the city anything.
“Normally when someone comes in to invest this type of money in our region, it comes with strings attached,” Fleming said. “They ask for incentives, they ask for a road, they ask for something. They've asked for nothing.”
There is quite a bit of work to get done, including re-routing a creek. The hospital is scheduled to open in 2018.
- Kingsport veteran and his mother receive Holston Habitat home
- Tractor Trailer crash on I-81 causing delays
- Big Brothers Big Sisters mentors give Christmas presents to their mentees
- Crews out in force to keep roads safe Friday
- Scott County woman plays role of Santa Claus; distributes hundreds of presents to kids in need