KINGSPORT, Tenn. - A hot spot in the Tri-Cities is making some changes to security.
The changes come after a Scott County man was accused of having sex with a 13-year-old at the Kingsport Aquatic Center.
Police say 28-year-old Larry Nick Swift, Junior of Weber City met a 13-year-old girl online about a month ago and then met her at the Kingsport Aquatic Center on June 5.
Officers say that's when the two allegedly engaged in consensual sexual activity.
The Aquatic Center Spokesperson Angela Yingling says safety is the number one priority at the aquatic center. She says every summer they increase the police presence because of the higher number of people.
Yingling also says they've added an extra employee to help with the 'wet corridor', which is the hallway between the locker room and restrooms inside the aquatic center. "The purpose of this person being in the hallway will be to direct traffic, to help with logistics in case someone has a question on how to get from the inside to the outside pool, and also to monitor the activity in that hallway."
Yingling says children 12 and under must have a parent or guardian present, but they also encourage parents to closely monitor minor children regardless of their age.
- Updated Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone
- Updated Traffic advisory for Exit 17 on I-81 in Abingdon
- Updated Authorities continue investigation into Sunday's fire in Johnson City
- Updated Virginia Tech unveils plan for new business complex
- Senate blocks stopgap bill to prevent shutdown this weekend