KINGSPORT, Tenn. - The popular social networking site Facebook could be the reason burglars knew when to hit a Kingsport home.
Police tell us when the victim left for a camping trip, he posted on Facebook that he was going out of town. Days later, he returned to find his apartment broken into and his expensive electronics gone.
Officers believe his posting may have led to the crime by letting the thieves know that no one would be at the home.
Police say it's a bad idea to post that kind of information online. "We just need to be aware that anything we put out on social media or anything we tell anybody in a conversation on the phone or in person, while it seems innocent, it can get into the wrong hands," says Tom Patton with the Kingsport Police Department.
Officers are investigating the burglary. So far, no arrests have been made.
- Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City