KINGSPORT, Tenn. - An accident involving a dump truck happened around 9:00 Thursday morning when the truck went over a bridge into Kingsport's Domtar Park parking lot.
Crews were still cleaning up the accident as of 11 a.m.
The dump truck driver was traveling eastbound on I-26 when it went over the bridge. The impact damaged two light poles.
Crews worked quickly to clean the mess because of weather concerns. "What we're looking at here is where the truck came over the bridge, it ruptured one of the saddle tanks carrying diesel fuel. We had our hazardous materials team out here," said Jim Everhart, Deputy Fire Chief with the Kingsport Fire Department.
The driver was severely injured and taken to Holston Valley hospital.
Police are investigating what caused the crash.
- Kingsport police investigating suspicious death on Bruce Street
- Bristol woman staying positive throughout MS diagnosis
- Greeneville Couple Accused of Trying to Sell A Child on Craigslist
- Indivisible Greene County rally brings out protestors rallying for unity
- Kingsport hosts annual Carousel Fine Craft Show