KINGSPORT, Tenn. - An accident involving a dump truck happened around 9:00 Thursday morning when the truck went over a bridge into Kingsport's Domtar Park parking lot.
Crews were still cleaning up the accident as of 11 a.m.
The dump truck driver was traveling eastbound on I-26 when it went over the bridge. The impact damaged two light poles.
Crews worked quickly to clean the mess because of weather concerns. "What we're looking at here is where the truck came over the bridge, it ruptured one of the saddle tanks carrying diesel fuel. We had our hazardous materials team out here," said Jim Everhart, Deputy Fire Chief with the Kingsport Fire Department.
The driver was severely injured and taken to Holston Valley hospital.
Police are investigating what caused the crash.
- Updated Bristol, Virginia scraps waterfall plan at the Falls
- New Kingsport hosts national gymnastics championship
- Updated Man and woman charged with attempted murder, kidnapping now on most wanted list
- Tennessee governor taking business recruiting trip to Europe
- Senate OKs bill to expand N. Carolina's 'revenge porn' law