KINGSPORT, Tenn. - An accident involving a dump truck happened around 9:00 Thursday morning when the truck went over a bridge into Kingsport's Domtar Park parking lot.
Crews were still cleaning up the accident as of 11 a.m.
The dump truck driver was traveling eastbound on I-26 when it went over the bridge. The impact damaged two light poles.
Crews worked quickly to clean the mess because of weather concerns. "What we're looking at here is where the truck came over the bridge, it ruptured one of the saddle tanks carrying diesel fuel. We had our hazardous materials team out here," said Jim Everhart, Deputy Fire Chief with the Kingsport Fire Department.
The driver was severely injured and taken to Holston Valley hospital.
Police are investigating what caused the crash.
- U.S. Marshals offering a reward for tips in the capture of Timothy England
- Former Kingsport armory coming down for commercial development
- Lexington at Johnson City nursing home to close doors Oct. 31
- Tennessee's Education Commissioner visits local schools
- Medical treatment of accused Volunteer Parkway shooter burdensome