KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Downtown Kingsport is showing signs of success.
We learned property values are skyrocketing.
Kingsport officials report taxable property value in the Model City's downtown district jumped more than $22 million during the last year. That's a 20 percent increase in one year.
Kingsport city officials told us while all of downtown is showing a sign of improvement, most of the growth comes from the recent redevelopment of the Kingsport Press area of downtown.
"Having all that happen in five years, to transfer from a closed industry to a retail-medical office and farmer's market hub is a pretty remarkable story of any city," said Jeff Fleming, assistant city manager of development.
We're told Kingsport's downtown property value has nearly doubled since 2000, growing by more than $64 million.
- Sheriff confirms murder in Unicoi County, TN
- New School officials, parents discuss future of Weaver Elementary
- New Unicoi County woman charged with first degree murder in Monday stabbing incident
- Bristol, TN taking steps to use drones in fire and police operations
- Trump supporters and protesters rally in downtown Abingdon