KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Some patients and their families at the Holston Valley Medical Center had special four-legged visitors Friday.
Therapy dogs dressed in red went to meet with patients and try to add a smile to their day. The dogs were dressed in red for the 'Live Red For Your Heart' movement to raise awareness about heart disease, the number one killer of women.
The patients tell us having the dogs visit helps lift their spirits. "Holding him, and him giving me kisses on my cheek, and everything is making me very happy. It made my day," says patients Diane Powers.
The hospital has a roster of two dozen therapy dogs who visit patients several times a week.
All the dogs and trainers have gone through training and certification.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting