KINGSPORT, Tenn. - UPDATE 12:25 p.m.: Investigators say Monday morning during a monthly fire drill at Dobyns-Bennett, a student found a single bullet in a classroom.
The student who found the bullet and gave it to a teacher, who reported it to authorities.
Police locked down the school while they conducted a search of the building to look for additional ammunition or a firearm, but nothing was found.
A K-9 was brought in to sweep the building and found nothing.
We'll have more information as it's available.
UPDATE 12:20 p.m.: The lockdown was lifted shortly after 12:15 p.m. Monday.
More information about the investigation will be released by the school system shortly.
Kingsport authorities say Dobyns-Bennett High School was locked down Monday morning.
The school was locked down shortly after 11 a.m. Monday.
Officers tell us there is no direct threat to students, but they say they needed to limit access to give them time to investigate a situation.
They are not saying what they are investigating.
We're following this story and will bring you more information as it's available online and on News 5 WCYB.
- Updated Ex-coal CEO asks high court to his overturn his conviction
- New Ariana Grande returning to Manchester for benefit show
- New 44 hits found in DNA testing of Virginia's backlogged rape evidence
- KISS concert in Manchester canceled after terrorist attacks
- Tennessee governor signs NRA-backed metal detector gun bill