KINGSPORT, Tenn. - A deadly motorcycle accident in Kingsport backed up traffic for at least an hour around 12:15 p.m. on Saturday.
The wreck happened in front of a Walmart at the intersection of Fort Henry Drive and Atoka Lane.
Kingsport police told us the driver of the motorcycle, Samuel Ireson Jr., was traveling south on Fort Henry Dr. when a 2011 Hyundai Sonata pulled out in front of him.
We're told the driver of the car, Kimberly S. Wieger, was turning left into the Walmart parking lot. The motorcycle collided with the passenger side of Wiegner's car, said police.
They told us both drivers had a green light.
The motorcycle flipped over the car and the force of the crash started a fire, said police. "Once the motorcycle hit the side of the [Hyundai], the gas tank, which is laying in the roadway now, somehow came off the motorcycle. Something made it burst into flames," said officer Matt McGuire.
We're told Ireson was thrown off his motorcycle during the accident; he died at the scene.
Paramedics took the driver of the car to Holston Valley Medical Center. We're told she has non-life threatening injuries and is expected to be recover.
The crash is still under investigation.
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane
- Neighbors propose traffic mural for Johnson City Tree Streets
- Enjoying record high heat in February
- "Compassion International" exhibition in Gray this weekend