KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Road construction is nearing its end at the site of the future welcome center in Kingsport.
We checked with the Tennessee Department of Transportation on its progress and found out road construction is slated to end by mid-May.
We're told the project has been taking longer than expected because of weather and drainage issues.
TDOT officials told us plans for the welcome center building should be sent to federal officials in the next couple of weeks and bids for construction should be advertised by early June.
Once construction begins, it should take about six months for the center to be built.
- New Baby raccoons saved following Bristol storm
- New Department of Corrections holds law enforcement appreciation lunch
- New Severe weather traps residents in vehicles, hits homes
- New Hall of Famer's widow causes stir with memorabilia auction
- Updated Sextuplets thriving after delivery at Virginia hospital