KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Road construction is nearing its end at the site of the future welcome center in Kingsport.
We checked with the Tennessee Department of Transportation on its progress and found out road construction is slated to end by mid-May.
We're told the project has been taking longer than expected because of weather and drainage issues.
TDOT officials told us plans for the welcome center building should be sent to federal officials in the next couple of weeks and bids for construction should be advertised by early June.
Once construction begins, it should take about six months for the center to be built.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane