KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Road construction is nearing its end at the site of the future welcome center in Kingsport.
We checked with the Tennessee Department of Transportation on its progress and found out road construction is slated to end by mid-May.
We're told the project has been taking longer than expected because of weather and drainage issues.
TDOT officials told us plans for the welcome center building should be sent to federal officials in the next couple of weeks and bids for construction should be advertised by early June.
Once construction begins, it should take about six months for the center to be built.
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation
- Bristol Virginia council votes to borrow another three million for The Falls
- Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone