KINGSPORT, Tenn. - East Lawn Funeral Home and Memorial Park in Kingsport held an annual Memorial Day service Saturday.
The service is to remember the lives of soldiers lost both past and present and visitors placed flags on a cross to symbolize that heroism.
Lieutenant Colonel Daniel Bishop, Professor of Military Science at East Tennessee State University and commander of the ETSU ROTC Battalion, spoke on the importance of remembering those who have served our country.
"Without such heroes, without those who are willing to stand and ultimately fall, we would not be here today enjoying the freedoms of the greatest nation on the face of the planet," said Lt.Col. Bishop.
The Vietnam Veterans of America, Chapter 979 of Kingsport preformed the "Missing Man Table." It is a ceremony that recognizes Prisoners of War and service members still listed as Missing In Action. Paul Williams and Sam Jones preformed the ceremony.
- UPDATE: escaped UPS Lee inmates captured in Mexico
- Firefighters feeling 'hopeful' after making presentation to Bristol, Va. city council
- School Budget Cut: Many voice concerns about tentative budget at Board of Supervisors meeting
- Solidarity in Remembrance: Smyth Co. town comes together to honor veterans
- Former addict overcomes addiction, becomes drug court coordinator