KINGSPORT, Tenn. - The Tri-Cities is now home to an American Idol winner.
Caleb Johnson is this season's winner. His family held a viewing party as they cheered him onto victory.
They say the third time's a charm. After auditioning three separate times for American Idol, Caleb came out on top Wednesday night against 17-year-old Jena Irene from Detroit.
Wednesday evening, his family and friends gathered at Buffalo Wild Wings in Kingsport to cheer him on.
Interestingly enough, his family tells News 5 they had never even heard him sing until a talent show in high school, but he was always a very theatrical person.
After Wednesday's result they could not be more proud of his maturity and positivity throughout his entire American Idol journey. "I think no matter win or lose, Caleb's going to be happy either way. I think he's got a really big, bright future ahead of him," says Linda Murphy, Caleb's aunt.
The family tells News 5 they'll definitely be attending the American Idol concert this summer in South Carolina and could not be more excited for him.
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin