KINGSPORT, Tenn. - 400 people gathered in Kingsport today to paint barrels in preparation for Fun Fest.
The 32-year old tradition is an all-around, eco-friendly project. The event encourages others to keep Kingsport litter-free in a fun and colorful way.
Director of Keep Kingsport Beautiful Robin Cleary explains, "These barrels will be taken out and used in all of the different Fun Fest events over the next week and a half. We also use these barrels throughout the year, last year about 110 different events throughout the city of Kingsport."
People of all ages participated in the Barrel Paint-In, and there were seven category winners.
Under 6 Winner: Luke Fallin
Age 6-8 Winner: Zack Golden
Age 9-11 Winner: Seth Wilder
Age 12-17 Winner: Mackenzie Parker
Age 18 & Over Winner: Tiffany Gildea
Special Friends – Chip Hale Center residents
Terry Light Memorial Award – Miranda Jesse
Fun Fest will officially kick-off Friday with Mardi Gras sponsored by Regions bank. For the full festival line-up, visit http://www.funfest.net/index.php/events.
- Former Ball employees 'cautiously optimistic' of new textile plant
- State parks hosting "First Day Hikes"
- UPDATE: Judge rules Azotea's murder confession admissible in jury trial
- UPDATE: Donald Trump Jr. denies Hawkins County, Tennessee land offer
- Good Samaritan Ministries still need sponors for 500 people in need this holiday season