KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Construction is underway for some new softball and baseball fields in Kingsport.
These fields will replace the ones lost by the Eastman expansion.
As the new corporate headquarters building goes up where the old sports fields were, construction of the new sports facility continues on the former General Shale Property on Industrial Drive.
Assistant City Manager Chris MacCartt says the six-point-eight million dollar project is progressing along as planned. "We remain on schedule to have the fields open by spring of 2015. Primarily shooting for an April date, and so that's, kind of what we're hopeful for."
MacCartt says the construction crew had to do some blasting recently, but that there shouldn't be much more of that.
We're told work on the building the fields and stands will begin soon.
- Updated Police investigation into Newport News suspect ends in Smyth County
- Greene County teen admits to murder
- Updated Public sessions begin Monday regarding MSHA/Wellmont merger
- Hot summer weather ruins crops in the region, benefits others
- Police identify person of interest in old General Mills building fire