KINGSPORT, Tenn. - Construction is underway for some new softball and baseball fields in Kingsport.
These fields will replace the ones lost by the Eastman expansion.
As the new corporate headquarters building goes up where the old sports fields were, construction of the new sports facility continues on the former General Shale Property on Industrial Drive.
Assistant City Manager Chris MacCartt says the six-point-eight million dollar project is progressing along as planned. "We remain on schedule to have the fields open by spring of 2015. Primarily shooting for an April date, and so that's, kind of what we're hopeful for."
MacCartt says the construction crew had to do some blasting recently, but that there shouldn't be much more of that.
We're told work on the building the fields and stands will begin soon.
- Johnson City Police cruisers damaged after hour-long car chase
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools