A Mountain City, Tennessee, police officer is on administrative leave without pay after being arrested on a drug distribution charge following a federal investigation.
Lt. Ronald Shupe was taken into custody Monday while in uniform and driving his patrol car, according to federal court documents obtained by News 5 on Tuesday. Mountain City Chief of Police Denver Church confirmed Shupe's suspension.
The affidavit says a confidential witness interviewed in the Ashe County, NC jail admitted to receiving meth from Shupe on several occasions and gave the officer an intravenous injections of meth while in his patrol car.
Church also said Tuesday that another officer in his department is being investigated for possible drug charges.
- Johnson City man arrested in connection to string of auto burglaries
- Suspect arrested after leading Washington County, VA deputies on a high speed chase
- The disappearance of Jessica Garino: a search for the truth
- All-star game at UVA Wise boosts local businesses
- Smyth County animal shelter temporarily shutting down