A military jury on Friday convicted Army Major Nidal Hasan of 13 counts of murder and 32 counts of attempted murder in a shooting rampage at Fort Hood, Texas.
One of those killed in the Fort Hood massacre was local soldier Specialist Fred Greene from Johnson County.
The 29-year-old was well-known and loved throughout the community. Friends told us Greene, his wife and children lived in Mountain City but were in the process of moving to Texas when the shooting happened.
Everyone we spoke to says the tragedy has devastated the area and they want justice for their hometown hero.
Some want Nadal Hasan put to death. "He should get the death penalty and it should be swift. He sure didn't care to do what he did," says Tommy Poore, a Mountain City resident.
Greene was buried at the church where he grew up in the Butler community.
- Sale of the old mill property still planning to go through after fire
- Greene County teen admits to murdering father
- Authorities continue investigation into old General Mills building fire
- Cyber security customer call center has grand opening in Wise
- Expelled state lawmaker escorted from UT football game