The verdict is in for a Johnson City father charged in the death of his two-year-old son.
Christopher Mitchell was found guilty of criminally negligent homicide and felony reckless endangerment.
Police say the toddler found his father's loaded handgun and shot himself in 2009. Mitchell told investigators that he was asleep at the Value Place motel in Johnson City when he heard a loud bang.
According to prosecutors Mitchell said that the loaded gun was in a cabinet in the kitchen where he thought his son Jacob could not reach it.
Mitchell will be sentenced January 9.
- Tennessee general fund revenues beat projections by $159M
- Georgia firefighter dies after weekend accident on job
- Report: Suicides increase in Tennessee
- Firefighters feeling 'hopeful' after making presentation to Bristol, Va. city council
- School Budget Cut: Many voice concerns about tentative budget at Board of Supervisors meeting