The verdict is in for a Johnson City father charged in the death of his two-year-old son.
Christopher Mitchell was found guilty of criminally negligent homicide and felony reckless endangerment.
Police say the toddler found his father's loaded handgun and shot himself in 2009. Mitchell told investigators that he was asleep at the Value Place motel in Johnson City when he heard a loud bang.
According to prosecutors Mitchell said that the loaded gun was in a cabinet in the kitchen where he thought his son Jacob could not reach it.
Mitchell will be sentenced January 9.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day