The verdict is in for a Johnson City father charged in the death of his two-year-old son.
Christopher Mitchell was found guilty of criminally negligent homicide and felony reckless endangerment.
Police say the toddler found his father's loaded handgun and shot himself in 2009. Mitchell told investigators that he was asleep at the Value Place motel in Johnson City when he heard a loud bang.
According to prosecutors Mitchell said that the loaded gun was in a cabinet in the kitchen where he thought his son Jacob could not reach it.
Mitchell will be sentenced January 9.
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia