JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - Runners in Northeast Tennessee will now have the chance to tackle a full marathon, thanks to the work of a group in Johnson City and a popular fast food chain.
Organizers announced the Mentoring Marathon Presented By Bojangles Friday.
The race will start at Winged Deer Park in Johnson City before runners head up Highway 11E towards Bristol Motor Speedway.
Runners will make a trip down the Bristol Dragway and a lap of the speedway before running back to Johnson City and finishing in Winged Deer Park.
This marathon is not just about running a race. Organizer Michael Marion says it is also geared towards helping children. "The word 'marathon' is a perfect metaphor for mentoring, because to be a good mentor, to change kids' lives, to be involved, is a long slow process. It's not a sprint. So this marathon has so many metaphors about it," said Marion.
Marion hopes this race and the involvement of the his group Rise Up will encourage more people to volunteer to mentor children. The first Mentor Marathon will be run May 10.
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation
- Bristol Virginia council votes to borrow another three million for The Falls
- Officials hope to get more millennials voting in this presidential election
- Local mental health court to soon hit major milestone