There's a new king bee of spelling for Johnson City Schools.
Competitors from eight schools spelled it out at Liberty Bell Middle School Wednesday afternoon, pitting 10 students against each other.
Contestants from each of the city schools had to win their respective bees in order to make to the city finals.
This year’s champion is Silas Wang from Liberty Bell took home the champion's trophy. It was redemption for the student after he came in second four years ago.
"To prepare for this, I start by reading all the words on the list, then I say the words out loud then I write each word about three times spelling them out loud as I write them,” Silas said.
Wang now moves on to regional competition at a tournament in Knoxville which is scheduled for next month.
- Smyth County animal shelter temporarily shutting down
- Kingsport Police arrest man wanted in multiple cities
- Scott County students receive shoes and socks from Rotary Club Shoe Fund
- Union's James Mitchell commits to Virginia Tech
- Sullivan County dispatcher honored for successful baby delivery over the phone