A Johnson City man is behind bars after police say he operated his vehicle recklessly in a parking lot and nearly hit a child before allegedly telling the child’s mother he was “only playing around.”
According to authorities, 24-year-old Austin Malone was arrested for reckless endangerment and driving on a revoked license (second offense).
Johnson City police said officers responded to a complaint of a reckless vehicle on the lot of 1007 N Roan Street. Police added the vehicle nearly hit a child and Malone got into a verbal altercation with the child’s mother and said he was “only playing around.”
Malone left the scene in the vehicle and was later stopped by officers. He is being held in the Washington County Detention Center on a $5,000 bond. His arraignment is scheduled for 9 a.m. Monday.
- Scott County students receive shoes and socks from Rotary Club Shoe Fund
- Union's James Mitchell commits to Virginia Tech
- Sullivan County dispatcher honored for successful baby delivery over the phone
- "Wreaths Across America" underway at the Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Students helping fellow students at Science Hill High School