JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - A road construction project in the heart of downtown Johnson City is nearly complete.
The 400 block of South Roan Street at State of Franklin Road has been closed since September. Crews have been replacing underground power, sewer and phone lines.
Public works director Phil Pindzola says city crews are finishing up the crosswalks and the road will be open next week. "We will take the [original] 1908 brick and use it to accent around the handicap ramps. It should look really nice and sustain some of the historical image of that street segment," he said.
The second phase of the project on South Roan Street will not start until April 2014.
- Local church group donating ‘Sensory Quilts' to nursing homes in Carter County
- Whitaker sentenced to 15 years in Jonesborough child abuse case
- People living in the Lynn Garden community feel unsafe after deadly shooting
- UPDATE: Carter Co. inmate back in custody
- McAuliffe awards $300,000 grant to Virginia Drone Project