JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - A road construction project in the heart of downtown Johnson City is nearly complete.
The 400 block of South Roan Street at State of Franklin Road has been closed since September. Crews have been replacing underground power, sewer and phone lines.
Public works director Phil Pindzola says city crews are finishing up the crosswalks and the road will be open next week. "We will take the [original] 1908 brick and use it to accent around the handicap ramps. It should look really nice and sustain some of the historical image of that street segment," he said.
The second phase of the project on South Roan Street will not start until April 2014.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Updated Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson
- Texas teen gets life for death of man who wouldn't buy beer
- Over 30 drug-related arrests made in ‘Operation Autumn Harvest'