JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - There is a new way to treat depression through therapy, and it's recently been offered to patients living in and around Johnson City.
ETSU's Quillen College of Medicine tells us the treatment is called "Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation."
Dr. Norman Moore says the procedure stimulates the brain through the scalp and skull using a strong magnet instead of an electric current.
Moore says people who can have this treatment are ones who cannot take medications because of side effects or people who have used medication to treat depression without any results. "That means that the patients who are approved by the FDA for this treatment have already had a sufficient dosage at a sufficient period of time on the medications, but have not got better," he explained.
Moore says it takes approximately 30 treatments and patients have to have the treatment five days a week.
He also says they are taking new patients. If you want to make an appointment, you can call 423-439-8000.
- Ceremony honors female veterans at Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Johnson City Memorial Day ceremony goes off without hitch, despite stolen flags
- Mountain Home National Cemetery honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day
- Free meals for children in Kingsport begin Tuesday
- Police: Man fired AK-47 from car while driving down highway