JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - An overflow crowd gathered at Mountain Home in Johnson City for a special Memorial Day service.
Retired Air Force Master Sergeant Donald Shifflett tells us the event stirred up some strong feelings within him about military service. "I respect every person that's served. I wish that some of the people in Washington would serve." said Shifflet." I think they ought to give them all those politicians a rifle and put them on the front lines. I can't say that if I was still in the service but I can now."
Inspirational speeches were mixed with music from a military band, a bugler playing taps and a twenty one gun salute at the ceremony.
A horse drawn carriage was also rolled in carrying an American flag draped ceremonial casket.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane