JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - An overflow crowd gathered at Mountain Home in Johnson City for a special Memorial Day service.
Retired Air Force Master Sergeant Donald Shifflett tells us the event stirred up some strong feelings within him about military service. "I respect every person that's served. I wish that some of the people in Washington would serve." said Shifflet." I think they ought to give them all those politicians a rifle and put them on the front lines. I can't say that if I was still in the service but I can now."
Inspirational speeches were mixed with music from a military band, a bugler playing taps and a twenty one gun salute at the ceremony.
A horse drawn carriage was also rolled in carrying an American flag draped ceremonial casket.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Person of interest identified in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Updated UPDATE: Former Bristol doctor receives probation on tax charges
- New Griffith, Kitts set for showdown in Virginia 9th District debate
- Arby's to sell venison sandwiches in 6 deer-hunting states