JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - An overflow crowd gathered at Mountain Home in Johnson City for a special Memorial Day service.
Retired Air Force Master Sergeant Donald Shifflett tells us the event stirred up some strong feelings within him about military service. "I respect every person that's served. I wish that some of the people in Washington would serve." said Shifflet." I think they ought to give them all those politicians a rifle and put them on the front lines. I can't say that if I was still in the service but I can now."
Inspirational speeches were mixed with music from a military band, a bugler playing taps and a twenty one gun salute at the ceremony.
A horse drawn carriage was also rolled in carrying an American flag draped ceremonial casket.
- Updated Highway 421 to reopen Tuesday between Mountain City and Shady Valley
- Updated Buchanan County drug roundup leads to over 20 arrests
- Updated Report: Presidential Debate captures 80.9 million viewers
- Bluff City tagged with $25,000 fine from state for sewer violation
- Man accused of killing father in Buchanan County appears in court