JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - Update 5/19/14 at 11:25am:
Police have identified the man who died in the fire in Johnson City. He is Gilbert King. He was the sole resident of the home. The investigation into the cause continues.
A man has died following a house fire in Johnson City.
The Johnson City Fire Department tells News 5 the fire happened around 6:30 Saturday afternoon on East Watauga Avenue.
We're told the house was burning heavily when crews arrived but they were able to get under control in about 15 minutes.
A 63-year-old man was inside the home. Fire Marshall Mike Hill tells us the victim was taken to Johnson City Medical Center but pronounced dead at the hospital.
The cause of the fire is under investigation and the man's name is being withheld pending notification of next of kin.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Updated Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death