JONESBOROUGH, Tenn. - A Johnson City man facing charges for solicitation of murder was back in court Monday.
Carter County sheriff Chris Mathes says 37-year-old Thomas Ken Owens, also known as T.K. Owens is facing charges after police say he had a murder-for-hire plot against Carter County deputy Earnest Widby, who is Owens' uncle and a local minister.
Owens is a former news reporter and sought the Democratic nomination to represent Tennessee in the U.S. Senate last year.
Owens was appointed an attorney Monday. The sheriff says Owens met with an undercover officer at a bar, where they agreed on $2,500 to kill the deputy.
A competency hearing is scheduled in Carter County on November 12.
- Updated Black Lives Matter event at ETSU crashed by man in gorilla mask
- Bristol, Va. woman charged with attempted robbery
- Sullivan County postal worker takes plea deal in hidden mail case
- Updated Senators ask Justice Department to investigate EpiPen maker
- California limits travel to North Carolina over LGBT law