JONESBOROUGH, Tenn. - A Johnson City man facing charges for solicitation of murder was back in court Monday.
Carter County sheriff Chris Mathes says 37-year-old Thomas Ken Owens, also known as T.K. Owens is facing charges after police say he had a murder-for-hire plot against Carter County deputy Earnest Widby, who is Owens' uncle and a local minister.
Owens is a former news reporter and sought the Democratic nomination to represent Tennessee in the U.S. Senate last year.
Owens was appointed an attorney Monday. The sheriff says Owens met with an undercover officer at a bar, where they agreed on $2,500 to kill the deputy.
A competency hearing is scheduled in Carter County on November 12.
- Johnson City woman forces her way into occupied motel room
- Lightening strikes BVU sub station in North Bristol, 3,700 customers without power
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death