JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - (RELEASED FOR PUBLICATION) On Tuesday, June 10, 2014, 28-year-old, Jon P Layton, of Gray, TN was arrested by officers of the Johnson City Police Department and charged with Felony Evading, driving on Revoked Driver's License 2nd Offense and Driving left of the center line.
The arrest stems from officers on patrol traveling North on S Roan St at the intersection on W Market St when they observed a black car traveling North on S Roan St pull across the double yellow line into the wrong lane of traffic at the stop light of W Market St.
Officers tried to conduct a traffic stop on the vehicle when it quickly changed lanes and drove past the patrol vehicle still heading North on S Roan St, fleeing from the patrol unit. Officers then turned the patrol car around and were able to see the black car pull into Church parking lot.
Officers observed the driver exit the vehicle and he began running away from officers on foot. The driver was identified and located shortly a few blocks away.
Layton was placed into custody and transported to the Washington County Detention Center where he is being held in lieu of $11,000 bond. He is scheduled to appear in General Sessions Court on June 11, 2014 at 1:30 PM.
- Haslam signs bill reducing costs of wiping criminal records
- Ceremony honors female veterans at Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Johnson City Memorial Day ceremony goes off without hitch, despite stolen flags
- Mountain Home National Cemetery honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day
- Free meals for children in Kingsport begin Tuesday