A local police department is asking business owners how they view crime in their community to help officers distribute resources.
Police Chief Mark Sirois told the Johnson City Press surveys were handed to downtown businesses this week and to other communities last week.
The department is trying to land a two-year $800,000 grant to target criminal activity and build safer neighborhoods.
The goal is to identify what police tactics work in different parts of the city.
A similar program is already underway in Kingsport.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson
- Updated Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event