JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - A Johnson City woman is awaiting her next court date after officers say she stole from a K-Mart and then hit an employee with her car.
Johnson City Police say around 3 pm Saturday afternoon they were called out to the K-Mart on Peoples street for a shoplifting call.
Witnesses say Aracelia Theresa Oquendo went inside and they say she was hiding merchandise in her purse. After being confronted, Ms. Oquendo left the store and jumped her car and tried to leave the area. The employee was behind the vehicle and was hit as Oquendo left the area. The employee is expected to be ok.
Officers later found the car and arrested Oquendo. She was taken to the Washington County Detention Center where she is waiting an arraignment on Monday afternoon.
She is charged with aggravated assault and shoplifting under $500.
- Thousands of flags placed on veterans' graves for Memorial day
- Foreign suspect sends bomb threat by fax to Meadowview Center in Kingsport
- Elizabethton Police investigating toddler's death
- Bristol, Va. firefighters post billboards ahead of public hearing
- Two boys charged with reckless burning in Kingsport IGA fire