JOHNSON CITY, Tenn - The mild temperatures and the steady breeze are signs of spring, but people like Shannon Williams believe now is also a good time to make some changes on the inside too.
"Clean out the garages and the storage buildings and everything," said Williams
Many people don't know where to take "old stuff, " so the City of Johnson City hosted The Great American Cleanup on the corner of Broad Street and State of Franklin.
You name it, you can bring it to throw away. "Old lights, old microwave, just some that been accumulated over time," said Williams.
Eva Hunter, Director of Keep Johnson City Beautiful heads the Cleanup. "The Great American Clean Up is the largest event sponsored by Keep America Beautiful, so it happens all across the United States during the months of March, April and May, " said Hunter. "So we have containers like these where you can recycle and dispose of wanted and unused junk."
"This is the 25th anniversary of Johnson City's Curbside Recycling Program, so that's why we brought recycling today. In the 25 years that the city has enjoyed that program we've recycled 508 million pounds of recyclable materials, " said Hunter.
For a list of drop-off dates and locations, click here.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting