JOHNSON CITY, Tenn - The mild temperatures and the steady breeze are signs of spring, but people like Shannon Williams believe now is also a good time to make some changes on the inside too.
"Clean out the garages and the storage buildings and everything," said Williams
Many people don't know where to take "old stuff, " so the City of Johnson City hosted The Great American Cleanup on the corner of Broad Street and State of Franklin.
You name it, you can bring it to throw away. "Old lights, old microwave, just some that been accumulated over time," said Williams.
Eva Hunter, Director of Keep Johnson City Beautiful heads the Cleanup. "The Great American Clean Up is the largest event sponsored by Keep America Beautiful, so it happens all across the United States during the months of March, April and May, " said Hunter. "So we have containers like these where you can recycle and dispose of wanted and unused junk."
"This is the 25th anniversary of Johnson City's Curbside Recycling Program, so that's why we brought recycling today. In the 25 years that the city has enjoyed that program we've recycled 508 million pounds of recyclable materials, " said Hunter.
For a list of drop-off dates and locations, click here.
- Abingdon Police investigating after a train hit a pedestrian
- Congressman Phil Roe is working on reforming the Affordable Care Act
- IN LIKE A LION: Potential for strong storms on Wednesday
- BMS and Buffalo Wild Wings host Daytona 500 watch parties in the Tri-Cities
- Police say man on drugs led officials on hour-long chase in Johnson City