NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Tennessee Arts Commission has announces Whitney Baxter as the 2013 Poetry Out Loud state champion.
Baxter attends Providence Academy in Johnson City. More than 1,500 students across the state competed.
Poetry Out Loud is a national arts education program that encourages the study of great poetry by offering educational material and a dynamic recitation competition to high schools across the country.
Baxter received an award of $1,000 and an all-expenses paid trip to Washington, D.C. to compete for the national championship.
Providence Academy School will receive a $500 stipend for the purchase of poetry books.
- New Official: Trump to revoke transgender bathroom guidance
- New Poll: 51 percent of Tennesseans approve of Trump's job performance
- Updated UPDATE: Suspected Kingsport killer gets $250K bond
- Dirty dancing: Caretaker charged for naughty dance in front of dementia patient
- Haslam: First vote on gas tax won't signal final version