NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Tennessee Arts Commission has announces Whitney Baxter as the 2013 Poetry Out Loud state champion.
Baxter attends Providence Academy in Johnson City. More than 1,500 students across the state competed.
Poetry Out Loud is a national arts education program that encourages the study of great poetry by offering educational material and a dynamic recitation competition to high schools across the country.
Baxter received an award of $1,000 and an all-expenses paid trip to Washington, D.C. to compete for the national championship.
Providence Academy School will receive a $500 stipend for the purchase of poetry books.
- Police: Woman dead following shooting in Sullivan County
- Warrant issued, suspect at large in Washington County, Va. shooting
- Chelsea Clinton at Appalachian State Thursday for early voting event
- Bristol, Tenn. man receives 20 years on federal child porn charge
- Police: Roan Mountain fire fighter charged with arson