NASHVILLE, Tenn. - The Tennessee Arts Commission has announces Whitney Baxter as the 2013 Poetry Out Loud state champion.
Baxter attends Providence Academy in Johnson City. More than 1,500 students across the state competed.
Poetry Out Loud is a national arts education program that encourages the study of great poetry by offering educational material and a dynamic recitation competition to high schools across the country.
Baxter received an award of $1,000 and an all-expenses paid trip to Washington, D.C. to compete for the national championship.
Providence Academy School will receive a $500 stipend for the purchase of poetry books.
- UPDATE: escaped UPS Lee inmates captured in Mexico
- Firefighters feeling 'hopeful' after making presentation to Bristol, Va. city council
- School Budget Cut: Many voice concerns about tentative budget at Board of Supervisors meeting
- Solidarity in Remembrance: Smyth Co. town comes together to honor veterans
- Former addict overcomes addiction, becomes drug court coordinator