JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - Some Johnson City residents react after they say they watched a teenager try to steal a woman's purse.
It happened Saturday night at the Walmart on Browns Mill Road. Johnson City police say the 17-year-old suspect is accused of trying to steal the purse, and then grabbing a child.
Police say five witnesses were able to hold onto the suspect until police arrived.
The teen was taken to the Johnson City Medical Center to be treated for a possible drug overdose and injuries police say he got from banging his head against the pavement while being held by bystanders.
He's now in the Washington County Juvenile Detention Center after being charged with robbery, aggravated sexual battery, simple assault, and child abuse.
- Pastor's wife charged with embezzling from church in Kingsport
- Four charged in Church Hill home invasion case
- Updated VP candidate Pence not hurt when plane skids off runway
- Chelsea Clinton garnering young voters at Appalachian State University
- Kingsport man trying to make Halloween attractions accessible to all