JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - Johnson City Police have some tips to keep you safe before you head out to shop on Black Friday.
Police tell us to expect more burglaries and traffic accidents as the shopping season gets underway.
They say to keep purchases in the trunk and lock your car.
Johnson City Police Sergeant David Lowe tells us the best thing to do to stay safe to use common sense.
Lowe tells us, "We recommend that you be very aware of your surroundings, park in lit areas, in the parking lot, try to go with a friend or family member so you're not alone, have your key out to get in your car quickly."
Lowe tells us shoppers should actually try to go when there are big crowds because there's safety in numbers.
- Ceremony honors female veterans at Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Johnson City Memorial Day ceremony goes off without hitch, despite stolen flags
- Mountain Home National Cemetery honoring fallen service members on Memorial Day
- Free meals for children in Kingsport begin Tuesday
- Police: Man fired AK-47 from car while driving down highway