JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - Development plans of a new $20 million dollar retail center in Johnson City are a go, but construction won't start just yet.
That outlet center will be located at the corner of Sunset Drive and North State of Franklin Road. Nashville based GBT Realty plans on developing 29 acres with Food City as the main anchor store.
Phase one includes the development of 13 acres which should produce as estimated $170,000 dollars in taxes for the city.
Angie Carrier, Development Services Director for Johnson City tells us, "This a good thing for Johnson City. It's good for our property tax values, because that's a vacant piece of property. It's been there for a while. Mountain States has held onto it. So they got that option with property tax and sales tax will also be a big bonus for us."
Crews will start construction in the spring.
- Johnson City man found guilty of second degree murder
- Five people running for three seats on Johnson City Commission
- Weighing options for ambulance services in Hawkins County
- Animal shelter needs help with overcrowding, charging less for adoption
- Local firefighters had rare opportunity to train in a real life setting