Johnson City

‘He stabbed me in my back': Victim stabbed at bus stop shares story

JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - Stabbed in the back -- that's what police say happened to a young, pregnant Johnson City woman as she was boarding a bus Monday morning.

Investigators told us her ex-boyfriend is facing charges.

A wounded 18-year-old, Toni Johnson, steps off the bus at the very same Johnson City stop where she was stabbed just five hours before.

She told News 5 her ex-boyfriend,  22-year-old Sanders Dixon, came up behind her as she was waiting for the bus around 9:30 Monday morning at the corner of Baxter Street and Watauga Avenue. "He said, 'So you don't want to be with me no more?' And I said, 'The way things are going, no I don't,'" Johnson recalled.

Her bus came, and when Johnson stepped on, she said she had no idea what was about to happen next. "It was like a sudden thing," Johnson said. "He stabbed me in my back."    

Johnson City Police told us witnesses on the bus and on the scene kept a visual of Dixon as he ran away.

According to the police report, Dixon was stopped and arrested in downtown Johnson City near the parking garage. Police said Dixon is charged with two counts of attempted first degree murder.

Those charges come after investigators said they found evidence suggesting this may not have been a sudden crime of passion.

"He has placed the knife in an object so his prints wouldn't be on it," said Lt. Steve Sherfey with the Johnson City Police Department. "So it wasn't a spur-of-the-moment, just pulling a knife out and stabbing someone [situation]. He put some thought into it."

These allegations are already weighing heavy on Johnson and her family. "To know he was two inches away from her spine, she could have been paralyzed. I mean that's a hard thing to think about," Johnson's mother Dawn O'Neil told News 5.  

We learned the pain for this mother-to-be isn't just physical. "It hurt, because he's actually the father of my baby," Johnson added.

Luckily, Johnson said both she and her baby are doing okay.

Police said Dixon is being held at the Washington County Detention Center on a $200,000 bond. He is scheduled to be arraigned in court Tuesday morning.

Police said the investigation is on-going.

Most Popular