JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - Now that spring is here, it's time to think about 'spring cleaning'. For those ready to roll up their sleeves, there's some extra help this weekend.
The Great American Cleanup will have three different drop-off locations in Johnson City where you can dispose of items the city won't normally collect.
You can drop off things like old furniture, small loads of wood, and building supplies..
Televisions, tires, hazardous materials, air conditioners, and paint will not be accepted.
We're told Johnson City police will also be collecting old medications, and there's a new collection set-up for teachers. "Our teachers spend so much money a year out of their own pockets to provide extra materials, so this with the PTA will be out collecting supplies you want to donate, you may have leftover from when your kids were in school," said Eva Hunter.
Saturday's drop-off will be held from 7:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. rain or shine at the corner of Legion Street and State of Franklin Road, as well as Mountain Home Elementary School, and Fairmont Elementary School.
Great American Cleanup sites will be at other locations over the next few weeks.
Here's a complete list:
• Fairmont Elementary, March 23
• Mountain View Elementary, March 23
• Corner of Legion Street and State of Franklin Road, March 23
• Woodland Elementary, April 6
• ETSU, April 6
• South Side Elementary, April 6
• Cherokee Elementary, April 20
• North Side Elementary, April 20
• Carver Recreation Center, April 20
• Liberty Bell Boulevard, May 4
• Towne Acres Elementary, May 4
• Indian Trail Intermediate, May 4
Drop-offs will be limited to one pickup-truck load per person.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane