JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - We've learned a former sheriff and police chief has died.
Washington County sheriff Ed Graybeal says former sheriff Fred Phillips passed away suddenly at home from natural causes.
Phillips led the Washington County Sheriff's Department from September of 1994 to January of 2003. He also held the position of Johnson City police chief.
Fred Phillips was 72 years old.
- Updated Union High School Marching Bears performing in National Memorial Day Parade
- Updated Red Onion inmate, D.C. sniper teen could get new trial
- Rock royalty in attendance as Chris Cornell is laid to rest in Hollywood
- Johnson City BOE discusses Washington County tax money plan
- Congress moves to expedite veteran disability benefit appeals