JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - The Johnson City Fire Department is investigating a house fire that left a family without a home.
Fire crews were called to a home on New Street just after six o'clock Tuesday evening.
Fire crews say the fire started in the laundry room of the house and spread to 50 percent of the home, including the walls and attic. News 5 has learned, structural issues hampered efforts to put out the fire, resulting in crews battling the blaze for nearly three and a half hours.
Seven people who lived in the home are now being helped by the American Red Cross.
The investigation into the cause continues.
- Updated Bristol, Va. woman charged with attempted robbery
- Updated Tenn. House Clerk accused of rude conduct
- Updated Binge-drinking UMass student nearly dies in Pennsylvania
- Kingsport native identified as victim in Washington state mall shooting
- Local donors, recipients talk about impact of organ and tissue donation