JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - A program that offered free cab rides to inebriated festival-goers at the Blue Plum Festival in Johnson City was hugely successful.
Holston Distributing Company offered vouchers for discounted cab rides for anyone who thought they were too drunk to drive.
Lt. Larry Williams said, ""We had several people come up to our command post and ask to call a cab for them. They weren't intoxicated but they'd been drinking and they were smart enough to go ahead get a cab to dome and there and pick them up."
Williams said that only one arrest was made downtown, and it was just after the festival ended.
- UPDATE: 29-year-old miner suffers several broken bones in Buchanan County
- Dozens of vendors showcase businesses at Home and Garden Show in Johnson City
- Volunteer regional crews assisting in search for Matt Ragan on South Holston Lake
- ‘Polar Plunge for Christ' raises money to prevent teen suicide
- MSHA, Wellmont address merger application delays, what's next