JOHNSON CITY, Tenn. - A program that offered free cab rides to inebriated festival-goers at the Blue Plum Festival in Johnson City was hugely successful.
Holston Distributing Company offered vouchers for discounted cab rides for anyone who thought they were too drunk to drive.
Lt. Larry Williams said, ""We had several people come up to our command post and ask to call a cab for them. They weren't intoxicated but they'd been drinking and they were smart enough to go ahead get a cab to dome and there and pick them up."
Williams said that only one arrest was made downtown, and it was just after the festival ended.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day