ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - A murder suspect awaiting trial on a charge of second-degree murder now also faces a charge of assaulting an officer.
Carter County Sheriff's Lt. Penny Garland says 33-year-old Israel Benjamin Goudy threw a sandwich at a corrections officer at the jail in Elizabethton.
Garland said the dispute arose when the officer ordered Goudy and his cell mate out of the cell for lunch. Garland says Goudy initially refused the order, then threw the sandwich at the guard. Garland says Goudy also head-butted the guard during booking.
Goudy is facing a charge of second-degree murder in the shooting death of Larry Whittaker at Whittaker's home on Oct. 16, 2011.
Goudy is scheduled to appear in court on the new charge on Jan. 13.
- Pastor's wife charged with embezzling from church in Kingsport
- Four charged in Church Hill home invasion case
- FTC, Wellmont and MSHA speak in front of SWVa. Health Authority
- VP candidate Pence not hurt when plane skids off runway
- Chelsea Clinton garnering young voters at Appalachian State University