ELIZABETHTON, Tenn. - A murder suspect awaiting trial on a charge of second-degree murder now also faces a charge of assaulting an officer.
Carter County Sheriff's Lt. Penny Garland says 33-year-old Israel Benjamin Goudy threw a sandwich at a corrections officer at the jail in Elizabethton.
Garland said the dispute arose when the officer ordered Goudy and his cell mate out of the cell for lunch. Garland says Goudy initially refused the order, then threw the sandwich at the guard. Garland says Goudy also head-butted the guard during booking.
Goudy is facing a charge of second-degree murder in the shooting death of Larry Whittaker at Whittaker's home on Oct. 16, 2011.
Goudy is scheduled to appear in court on the new charge on Jan. 13.
- Police: Car plows into parade crowd in New Orleans; 12 hurt
- VA Gubernatorial Candidate campaigning in Southwest Virginia
- Mall at Johnson City full of race cars for season preview
- Final contract signed to transfer Sullivan North to Kingsport City Schools
- Gov. amends SWVa. lawmaker's bill to raise fine for driving slowly in left lane