Officials with Appalachian Power and its subsidiary Kingsport Power announced Monday a multi-million dollar project that will upgrade power infrastructure in Hawkins County.
The Nagel Substation Expansion will begin in a few weeks time with a completion scheduled for late 2019 and a price tag of $105 million, according to the company.
"The work will reduce congestion on the transmission grid and provide a more efficient and robust power system," said the report, which outlined the project details which include modernizing equipment and adding additional facilities to support a lower voltage.
The construction will take place on existing AEP property adjacent to Stanley Valley Road that is located 10 miles west of Kingsport. Hawkins County will have $2 million in tax revenue in their coffers annually, the report said.
- Scott County students receive shoes and socks from Rotary Club Shoe Fund
- Union's James Mitchell commits to Virginia Tech
- Sullivan County dispatcher honored for successful baby delivery over the phone
- "Wreaths Across America" underway at the Mountain Home National Cemetery
- Students helping fellow students at Science Hill High School