CHURCH HILL, Tenn. - Pink flamingos are descending on Hawkins County -- only these are the plastic kind.
If you wake up with a flamboyance of flamingos in your front yard, then you've been "flocked." That means someone has made a donation to the Church Hill Free Clinic. For $25, a Church Hill area resident can have 25 plastic flamingos set up in someone else's yard.
One of the flocks was set up at Church Hill's city hall to raise awareness for the fundraising campaign.
Clinic manager Kathy Doerr hopes this campaign, plus the addition of a new $5 fee, will offset their budget deficit. "We are $6,000 in the hole, so we're hoping our campaign will help raise that initial $6,000 to get us out of the hole," she said. "Then the $5 fee will keep us going after that."
There are other flamingo-themed events on the horizon ending with a flamingo gala at the Allendale Mansion. For information on how to participate, donate, or a schedule of events, visit the free clinic on Facebook.
- Tri-Cities native auctioning off Battle at Bristol tickets to help Louisiana flood victims
- Kids learn from visit to Appalachian Fair
- Johnson County school kids process accident, victim worsens
- One person flown to hospital after bicycle and truck crash in Jonesborough
- Job fair scheduled for Wednesday in Erwin