HAWKINS COUNTY, Tenn. - A Hawkins County couple charged in the death of a five-year-old girl were in court on Friday. It was a relatively quick proceeding with the judge changing the trail date.
Randall and Mary Vaughn listened as the defense and prosecution asked for more time to look over the evidence in their case.
The judge decided to move the trial date to February 9, 2015.
The two will be tried together. Both are charged with first degree murder, two counts of aggravated child neglect and aggravated child abuse.
Hawkins County deputies say the charges are linked to the January 2012 death of Randall Vaughn's daughter Alexa Linboom.
Autopsy results showed Alexa died after being forced to drink more than two liters of soda and water as punishment.
The Vaughn's will return to court on December 15 for additional pre-trial motions.
- Rabies vaccinations offered in Southwest Virginia
- Sports injury seminar aimed to teach coaches how to keep athletes healthy
- Children given free winter coats at the 17th annual Coats For Kids
- Unusual investigation leads to arrest of Bristol, Va. man
- Local agencies participating in National Drug Take-Back Day