HAWKINS COUNTY, Tenn. - A Hawkins County couple charged in the death of a five-year-old girl were in court on Friday. It was a relatively quick proceeding with the judge changing the trail date.
Randall and Mary Vaughn listened as the defense and prosecution asked for more time to look over the evidence in their case.
The judge decided to move the trial date to February 9, 2015.
The two will be tried together. Both are charged with first degree murder, two counts of aggravated child neglect and aggravated child abuse.
Hawkins County deputies say the charges are linked to the January 2012 death of Randall Vaughn's daughter Alexa Linboom.
Autopsy results showed Alexa died after being forced to drink more than two liters of soda and water as punishment.
The Vaughn's will return to court on December 15 for additional pre-trial motions.
- ETSU student charged following gorilla mask incident at Black Lives Matter protest
- Carter County deputy, former 'Southern Justice' star, charged with murder
- ETSU administration quickly organizes meeting to start conversations about race
- Recovery action walk raises awareness in Wise County
- Police searching for kidnapping suspect